Sunday, March 15, 2009

Our First Wedding Gift!

Andrew and I got quite a surprise yesterday from mom and dad.

The extra fridge in my parent's garage finally bit the bullet. (I'm not surprised...I think it's practically as old as I am.) Mom and I were doing some shopping last weekend, so we decided to stop into Sears to look at new refrigerators, and hopefully find something cheap to replace the one that broke. I guess that's easier said than done. Nothing that was a comparable size was that cheap.

But, I had another idea. Andrew and I have been meaning to replace the stove and fridge in our house, we just haven't had the money to do so yet. There were some really nice fridges at Sears that weren't too expensive, so I thought maybe Andrew and I could buy a new fridge and use some of the wedding money we get later to pay it off. We could sell our old one to mom and dad for much less money than them buying a new one, and they'd have a new outdoor, extra fridge. Brilliant, right?

Mom and I were ready to take Andrew to the store to check out the floor model, and dad asked if he could come along. Dad, volunteering to take a trip with us to the mall...well, I thought that was a little odd, but I was happy he was going to join us, so I didn't complain.

While he got ready to go, I started asking mom a lot of questions (worried about how I was going to pay for this), like "Do you think it's okay to use the wedding money we get later to pay off the fridge? Is it a faux pas to thank our guests for an appliance that will be in our home before the wedding?"

I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity, since mom and dad need a new fridge soon, rather than waiting until after the wedding. Mom couldn't answer my questions, so I said "Opps, it must be a faux pas. I think of another way to pay for it..."

Mom called dad into the room and said "We can't wait any longer to tell her. She keeps asking me all these questions I can't answer!"

Then, they announced that the new fridge would be their wedding gift to Andrew and I! So, we went as one, big, happy family to Sears to pick it out. It will be delivered a week from Monday. It's black (our color of choice for new appliances!), it has a divider shelf in the freezer. It's bigger than the one we have now. It has pull-out bins in the door and clear crisper, meat and dairy drawers. I can't wait until it arrives!

Thanks, mom and dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome, Lacey & Andrew.
Funny how that all came about and happened so quickly. Mom was always stressed about what we'd give you for a wedding present, and I was always thinking we would give you cash. I know Donna didn't really like that idea, she'd rather give you something. Something you really need.
Be sure to tune in to the WE channel for WE GO APPLIANCE week!
=)
Love, Bob - Father of the bride