Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fairy Tale Wedding Dress Shopping

Back to real life today.


Wedding dress shopping on Saturday was like a fairy tale. The first little, family owned bridal shop we visited is where I wish I could buy my dress. (If only it weren’t in Topeka, KS!) Their prices were very reasonable, they had an incredible selection and the employees were very friendly, encouraging and full of creative touches and ideas.


Debi, Elly, and Cyndi were not only patient while the dresses had to be laced up the back and squeezed into, but incredibly helpful finding me dresses in the exact styles I love and the sizes I need. I cannot wait to do more dress shopping here in Lincoln.


The statistic that wedding dresses are made for women 5’9” in height must be accurate. Practically every dress I tried on fell in place like it was made for me. That being said, Mom and I would like to focus on finding a dress that would need little to no alteration. I tried on many that fall into this category. Compared to any other clothes shopping I’ve ever done for myself, I really feel like I have my pick of almost anything I want. The A-line cut is my favorite, but some princess silouttes and even some closer fitting, simple style dresses looked nice on me. The only styles I really need to stay away from are the sheath and mermaid silouttes.


My goal is to find a dress that has a sweetheart neckline, ivory in color, covered in lace (and maybe a little bead work) with no train. The women at the bridal shop mentioned that white dresses tend to clash with a fair complexion, and we saw exactly what they meant the first time I tried on an ivory dress. It just looked more my style. (I rarely wear white....maybe that’s why!)


We’ve also added new family members and friends to our bridal party. Andrew asked his friend Patrick to be a groomsman, Debi and Elly are going to help with the guest book, Cyndi is going to be my personal attendant (to be at my beck and call on my wedding day “Cinderelli, Cinderelli!”) and Caleb, my God child, is going to be the ring bearer. It was so cute when we were explaining to Caleb what he would do in the wedding. He seemed excited, he agreed to do it and then we hugged. I spoke with Cyndi later that evening and she said that Caleb was already asking about his job. He would ask her “Tomorrow?” (Not quite, kiddo.)

No comments: